In case you hadn’t already heard, 29th May marks the start of National BBQ Week, an occasion for all the men out there to don the apron and cooking tongs, and show the rest of the family how it’s done.
Preparing and cooking the ultimate BBQ feast is a rite of passage for any lad, and even if you’re not a natural in the kitchen, our guide to becoming a BBQ master is guaranteed to make you the envy of the family.
This post is going to breakdown our favourite recipes and how to pick the best ingredients; follow all these simple steps and you’ll nail your next family BBQ (and we won’t tell anyone you had our helping hand if you don’t…)
And what better way to get National BBQ Week started than a load of new gear to go with your BBQ, and even better, what if you got it all for free? We’ve got an awesome hamper of outdoor cooking essentials to giveaway to ONE LUCKY WINNER, including outdoor lighters from Zippo, cleaning products thanks to Oven Pride and a selection of other cool BBQ bits from Thermapen. Read on to the end find out how to be in with a chance.
Step 1 is to pick what you’re going to throw on the BBQ, but that doesn’t just mean burgers and sausages, our top BBQ recipes are about to turn you into a restaurant standard BBQ chef (well, near enough).
Whisky-Glazed Steak Tortilla Wrap – recipe courtesy of www.waitrose.com/home/inspiration/waitrose-summer-partyideas/barbecues/barbecue-recipes.html Ideal for the manly meat eaters in the crowd.
-Prep Time: 15 minutes + marinating
-Cooking Time: 23-35 minutes
Makes 8 Wraps
4 tbsp Heinz Tomato Ketchup
4 tbsp Clear Honey
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
5fg Light Brown Soft Sugar
1tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershie Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
800g Aberdeen Angus Rump Steak
4 Red Onions, halved and thickly sliced
1 tbsp Olive Oil
8 Wheatflour Tortilla
- In a large shallow dish, mix together the whisky, tomato ketchup, honey, mustard, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Add the steak (keep in 1 piece of cut into 4 servings), turning to coat. Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C,
gas mark 6. Place the onions in a roasting tin and drizzle with the oil. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time, until slightly charred and softened. Meanwhile, drain the marinade from the steak and pour it into a medium-sized pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Allow to cool.
- Place half the cooled sauce in a small bowl and use to brush the steak. Reserve the remaining sauce. Place the steak on a hot barbecue or under a preheated grill and cook for 2½ minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium and 6 minutes each side for well done, basting the meat as it cooks.
- Place the tortillas on the barbecue and cook for 30 seconds on each side (or heat according to pack instructions). Cut the steak into thin strips and serve with the onions and reserved sauce wrapped in the warmed tortillas
Prawn Kebabs and Sweet Potato Chips – recipe courtesy of – www.sarsons.co.uk
Ideal for the healthier members of the team
-Ready in 35 minutes + marinating
8 Wood Skewers, soak in cold water for 20 mins
1 tbsp Sarson’s Malt Vinegar, plus extra for dipping
4g Fresh Coriander, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Clove of Garlic
Zest and Juice of 2 Lemons
1 Red Chilli, deseeded
24 Raw King Prawns
2 Mangoes, destoned and chopped
4 Sweet Potatoes, cut into chips
Sea salt and ground black pepper
- In a food processor, whizz up the vinegar, coriander, half the oil, sugar, garlic, lemon juice and chilli. Thread the king prawns and mango chunks onto the skewers and place on a large plate. Pour over the coriander mixture and marinate for 20 mins.
- Preheat a barbecue or oven to 190C/gas 5. If barbecuing, dress the sweet potato chips with the remaining oil and seasoning, then barbecue for 15 mins. If baking, place the sweet potatoes in a roasting tin and dress with the oil and bake for 20 mins, until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the prawn skewers on the barbecue, turning a couple of times, for 10-15 mins, or preheat the grill or a griddle pan and do the same, until the prawns are thoroughly cooked. Serve garnished with the lemon zest and extra coriander and sweet potato chips, dressed with salt and Sarson’s vinegar.
Stuffed Burgers – recipe thanks to www.castlemaclellan.co.uk
Take your burgers to the next level to become the ultimate BBQ master
Makes 4 Burgers
1 Tub of Castle MacLellan Mushroom Pâté
540g Minced Beef
1 Small Onion, finely chopped
1 Egg Yolk
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Slices of Black Pudding (about 1cm thick)
Baby Gem Lettuce Leaves
Sliced Tomatoes (optional)
Sliced Red Onion (optional)
1.Put the chopped onion, beef mince and egg yolk in a mixing bowl and combine to make the burger mix, season. Take a handful of mix and form into a flat patty using your hands. Place a spoon of Castle MacLellan Mushroom Pâté in the centre and close. Make sure you fill any gaps and the meat is of equal thickness on each side of the pate layer if possible.
2.Preheat the grill to hot. Cook the burgers under the grill for 15 minute or until they are completely cooked through. Turn once to ensure they cook all the way through.
3.In a frying pan cook a slice of black pudding and place on the top of the burger.
4.Cut the ciabatta rolls in half and toast under the grill on both sides.
5.Layer the ciabatta with lettuce leaves, the burger and black pudding. Finish off with slices of tomato and red onion and sandwich in the ciabatta roll.
The SLT (vegetarian edition) – recipe provided by www.hoobafoods.com/shop
Impress your vegetarian friends with this veggie hot dog alternative
2 Hooba No Meat Sausages
1 Medium Tomato
2-3 Lettuce Leaves
Optional Vegan Mayo
- Fry, grill or bake (or BBQ) the sausages until browned and piping hot in the centre
- Place on the bread of your choice with lettuce and tomato
- Add any additional sausage or dressings you require
- Eat immediately while hot
We know you’ll love these recipes, and the other ones our great partners have to offer, but what do you need to know when buying your key ingredients?
We got Mark Turnbull, chairman of the Q Guild (https://www.qguild.co.uk/), a prestigious collection of leading butchers in the UK, to share with us what to remember when picking what meat to throw on the grills.
- Lamb – choose a cut off the bone. Spatchcock lamb is butterflied with the bone removed which will allow it to lay flat on the grill and cook evenly.
- Pork – you can’t go wrong with sausages and Q Guild member butchers have an award-winning choice of traditional and innovative products. As you won’t be marinating the sausage, choose a product which contains flavourings within the casing, go traditional with leek or Bramley apple; or spicy with jalapeno and cheese. Sausages like kielbasa and bratwurst are ideal for smoking and are proving a popular choice for pubs and restaurants serving a barbecue menu.
- Beef – along with burgers, steak seems the obvious choice for barbecues. Choose a cut with a lot of flavour, rump and flat iron are both tasty and economical choices. Marinade or season well and cook from room temperature.
Finally, choose your butcher, Q Guild butchers are award-winning experts in their field. Carrying the Q Guild brand sends out a strong message that they are one of Britain’s best butchers, committed to unsurpassed quality and customer service.
What’s included though? If you’re our lucky winner (entrants must be 18 or over), the following will be arriving on your door step shortly…
- 2x Zippo Flexible Neck Utility Lighters
- 16 Bottles of Bombardier Beer
- 2x Thermapens
- Thermapen Apron
- Tea Towel with cooking temperatures
- Fridge magnets with cooking temperatures
- Temperature control food bag
- Thermapen canvas shopping bag
- 2x Oven Pride Deep Cleaner
- 2x Oven Pride Hob Cleaner
Thermapen – Getting your food perfectly cooked on the BBQ can be a struggle, but you needn’t guess if it’s done any longer, thermapen’s digital food thermometers will let you know in seconds the temperature of your food and their handy accessories with cooking temperatures printed on such as tea towels and fridge magnets, mean you’ll have all your meat cooked perfectly.
Bombardier – A refreshing liquid compliment to your BBQ bites, our friends at Bombardier have been kind enough to provide us with 16 bottles (2 crates) of their high-quality ales as part of this incredible prize.
Oven Pride – Leading oven cleaning brand Oven Pride, have the perfect products to get your BBQ sparkling ready for the warm weather. Their Deep Cleaner and Hob Cleaner are both perfect for use on the BBQ, keep an eye out for our BBQ cleaning post later this week, with all their top tips on how to use the products.
Zippo – Infamous lighter brand Zippo have the perfect solution to avoid burning your fingers trying to get the BBQ alight this season, their flexible neck lighters are easy to use and an essential for any charcoal BBQ user.
How do I enter this amazing giveaway did we hear you say? Well, it couldn’t be much easier, just enter using your email address or Facebook login and you’ll be in with a chance of bagging this top-class prize! Simply tell us your BBQ tipple of choice to enter!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
We hope this post sends you in the right direction to becoming the BBQ expert you’ve always dreamed of becoming, but we’re not done with National BBQ Week just yet, keep an eye out for our next post on being the perfect BBQ host and the best drinks to quench your thirst this summer, as well as ANOTHER GIVEAWAY!
And as if all that help and BBQ inspiration won’t be enough, we’ll be sharing our top tips on cleaning your BBQ with Oven Pride, as well as giving you another chance to win today’s bundle of items.
Happy BBQ’ing All!